Tuesday 13 November 2012

First thoughts on Ethics!


First thoughts on Ethics!

Taking my professional community on the Fascination I considered the ethics, which apply to me. I wrote down the first things that came to my head and did not refer to any documents.

Appendix A   



The thoughts I wrote down covered so many areas. Things that I personally like to abide by, things that I have learnt with experience of working not just as a performer but also in a call center, waitressing etc, and then also ethics set down by the company I work for. My ideas and thoughts on ethics were a continuous flow.

I think the fact that I work and live in a small environment means ethics becomes very intense and also even more important. I am continuously representing the company, even when I leave the ship for the day I am surrounded by guests and have to constantly be aware or my actions. I also live, eat and sleep with the people I work with, it’s important that we have certain ways of dealing with situations and people, if not things could get intense very quickly.

While I was writing down my thoughts I wondered how I’m aware of “how we do things around here”. Where have they come from?

I have attached documents and proof of where many of these come from but these are pacific to the company I work for but not necessarily the job I do .

Appendix B







In every cabin there is a folder, which is called Team Carnival Shipboard Handbook. It has six sections with the guidelines we are expected to follow;
Vessel Familiarization, Personal Safety and Accident Prevention, Environmental Compliance, Rules and Regulations, Carnival Look and Code of business Conduct and Ethics. In Appendix B it shows examples of common sense and also ethics I had to learn and put into practice. Unfortunately there wasn’t an appropriate section I could photograph under the last section, Code of Business and Ethics however I thought the titles within that section would give you a good idea of the contents.
General, Integrity, Environmental Protection, Antitrust Policy and Guidelines, Improper Payments and Bribes, Transactions in Securities, Use and Disclosure of confidential, Proprietary or Injurious Information, Conflicts of Interest And Corporate Opportunities, Outside Employment, Prohibited Receipts And Payment Policy, Gifts To A Third Party, Campaign Contributions, Public Company Reporting, Dealing With Auditors/Recordkeeping, Document Retention, Reporting Improprieties, Compliance.

I plan to read the handbook thoroughly and blog my rethink on ethics as I think one of my examples in Appendix B may be along the wrong lines!!





1 comment:

  1. Good review of documents from your professional working environment - look forward to the next blog completing this with thinking through some of the published expectations - I wonder where it might lead. This is where that Argyris and Schon theory about double loop learning can also come into play. Most of us have organisational policies by which we must abide - but the way in which people carry these duties out can vary somewhat from strictly written guidelines - we all try our best but real life is made up of surprises that we have to deal with in our work. So sometimes 'custom and practice' is used instead of 'espoused theory'. What is good to do is to use the structure of theory to examine it - perhaps there is someone in the Reader who can inform your thinking?

    Also ethics has to do with carrying out your practitioner research, being careful when you talk to people about your topic and making sure your employer and the people involved give their consent to your research. I have just put up some suggestions on my blog and Jo Clarke has written a bout our discussion about her thinking about ethics your might want to check out.

    ReplyDelete