Tuesday 27 November 2012

I have all the tools but I need the question!


 I am now coming to the end of my second contract on a ship. I will finish this module on the ship but will be completing the last module on land. For me I need to create an inquiry that is versatile, that will accommodate both situations.

As Paula knows I have been back and fourth with my inquiry question. I decided to ask myself two questions;
What do I do well? And, What do I want to do on my return to the UK?

Appendix A

For myself and along with all professional dancers I want to get a job on land with in my profession and not have to work a “normal” job. This is up to me no one can help. I will be teaching at a local dance school but I would rather be on stage and leave that for later in my career.

I then asked a group of 14 people three questions.

What do you do to prepare for an audition?
I will need to audition. I have been to a fair few but if I knew how to do a perfect audition, if there was such a thing I need to be close to it.

What makes a good performer?
I want to stand out. In my opinion and experience performance makes you. It shows somebodies passion and can potentially get them the job.

If you could have been given one bit of advise before you started your full time training, what would it have been?
I will be teaching young adults that are training to go to a professional dance college. I want them to have more knowledge than I did. I want to inspire and give them advise.

Appendix B – The group of 14 people started writing their ideas on the paper I left, shortly after it turned into a full on discussion, which I was not prepared for. I noted down as much as I could.
PICTURES OF SPIDER DIAGRAMS

I noticed a link in a lot of the answers I received.

“Life experience”      “Game Face”  Making hard steps look easy and easy steps look good”  Face! Face! Face! Even if you mess up, do NOT show it on your face” “Ability to recover effortlessly”       “Character”    “Be versatile”             No matter what have fun, and sell the performance with your face”                  “Dance should be fun, if it isn’t you will see it on your face”       “Always remember where you are from”             “Act on what you feel”                       “Dance should be an extension of what you are and how you feel”      “originality stands alone” – all of the previous are quoted from the informal discussion, Appendix B.

Ethics is all about acting appropriately in different places. From the answers I received I feel like having a successful career is about acting correctly at the right time and place. Does acting contribute to a dancers performance? Could this contribute to me gaining a job?
I am going to pilot this question while trialing my inquiry methods.

 Appendix A






No comments:

Post a Comment