Monday 23 April 2012

Task 2b- Journal Writing Experience


Task 2b- Journal Writing Experience

I’ve tried many different ways of writing my journal; all negatives from the day, all positives of the day, from different peoples/things perspectives, lists, story writing, critically, with diagrams, from different place etc.

I thought I would share with you one of the most interesting entries I have made was from my dance captain perspective simply due to the amount I learnt once writing the extract. I wrote this entry while onboard the Carnival Valor, now I am home. Reading through my journal I see it in a total different way, I think this is because I am now home and I have different thoughts of my journey. 

One of the female dancers was struck with G.I and it was a show day, she was unable to get out of bed or keep any food down. The dance captain had to round up the cast for an emergency re block. I at the time have to admit was on deck laying in the sun with a book (it was nice weather and I had nothing else to be doing ) however I decided to do my journal that day because of the reaction that the dance captain got from certain members of the cast.

I learnt that how I feel I come across to people is not always how I do.  When I was told that there was a rehearsal I did not moan I literally got up and went to change into rehearsal wear and got myself to the theatre. I know it can be stressful re blocking so I kept quiet and did what I was told. 

I had a good enough relationship with the dance captain that I told her the next day about my journal writing from her perspective. She was happy to discuss what I wrote and how she felt.  
The main problem with working on ships was relationships! Not the romantic type. It was hard for people to define talking to the DC in the crew bar of a evening with a glass of wine and rehearsals and show time. People could not define having a laugh and a joke and being professional. The DC said this was the one main thing that effected her emergency rehearsal. From what I wrote about myself and just getting on with things came across different once speaking to the DC, it came across that I didn’t want to be there and that she had interrupted my break however she knew me well enough to know this wasn’t the case.  I was so shocked. She explained that she can see that I am being 100% professional but in circumstances like that she would welcome ideas.  I guess in my case it is getting to know the routine a bit better and maybe asking the DC what she expects from the rehearsal at the beginning.  I wish for a day I could become someone else she see myself from someone else’s eyes.

(I would include an extract of the journal entry but it includes a lot of names)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kimberly

    The problems you mentioned regarding ships and dance captains are common ones. I have completed seven contract on cruises including 2 as dance captain. So I have had the opportunity to experience both sides of the problem. Re-blocking is tiring and difficult at times but on ships is a part of the job as there are no swings. I think it is important for everyone involved to approach this aspect of the job with their best efforts, the dance captain needs to stay calm and approach the problem in a stress-free manner and the cast need to cooperate and make the process as easy as possible.
    Having said that, it is not always that simple. Like you said, managing relationships is difficult. When working on a cruise ship your immediate network consist of your colleagues, friends and also people who you live with. But, unlike most cases these different groups all consist of the same people! A recipe for disaster in some cases! It is difficult to keep work and play separate but I think the key is respect. If you have that, life becomes more simple.
    Hope this helps
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bottom comment about not including an extract from the journal, really pinpoints the special respect that can form for your journal. I also found that it was an un-judged place where I could go and say anything about anyone, all in a bid to grow my ideas. There is no-way I'd let those people read it however...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly- There is definitely a fine line between friendship and colleagues on ships. People that did have a close friendship with the DC didn't really seem to have that understanding which frustrated a lot of people. It was a big learning curve for myself to watch. I always put myself in their shoes and always treated people how I would want to be treated. Thanks for your comment and advice.x

    Ahmet- I found the journal a good stress relief and I got out things that may have built up inside unnecessarily. When filling it in from other peoples/things points of view it was very hard to think out of the box and not just note my thoughts.
    Thank you for your comment x

    ReplyDelete