Thursday 26 April 2012

Task 3a - Current Networks


At college it was always drummed into us about networking. I had never heard the term until then. My very first memory was of a girl with a very encouraging mum, who made her take everybody’s name and number in the pantomime she had been in and she contacted them on a regular bases to see what they were up to………at the time I just thought she had a very pushy mother. Little did I know that she was just getting a head start in what was about to begin.

My networks are continuously expanding and I am using them more beneficially.  I am currently on spotlight, which enables casting directors, agents, choreographers and other professionals to see my photo and CV. I am currently working on getting an agent. Due to being on a ship for 7months straight from college I was never had the time to audition or even write to agents and gain myself that very important contact and way of networking. Even though agents take a percentage of money from you if they do put you forward for a job and you get it at least you are broadening you network. With an agent as well they will only out you up for jobs that you are appropriate for, which sometimes isn’t always obvious from your own eye. Agents tend to get you closed auditions as well which means you are not crammed in a studio with 400 other girls struggling to get to the front. From talking to other professionals it can take time to get the right agent for you. An agent your friend is with may not be the right on for you, however it is always good to ask what agency people are with. 


The obvious networks are facebook, my space, twitter etc. I am part of both twitter and facebook which I try and keep as professional as possible as I am friends with other practitioners and professional however I have the majority friends and family. I am thinking of creating a page just for my profession, where I can advertise classes that I am beginning to teach and also add casting directors, choreographers, agents etc and remove them off my current personal one.


For me looking into networking could not have come at a better time. Having just finished a contract I feel I am starting at the very beginning and I need to start establishing myself. I can learn from other peoples blogs what they find most beneficial or from there mistakes. If you have any tips of pointers please let me know.  


No comments:

Post a Comment